Friday 30 May 2014

Dealing with pain

Have you noticed that pain is so relative? 
When I had this accident and I had to undergo so many procedures, just the thought of going through them was so painful. The pain starts even before you actually have to go through the procedure.
But then I started a mental exercise to be better prepared at dealing with this.
I started rating the pain between 1 and 10 and assessing where it stood now. Since it became just a mental exercise, the attachment to the body part or the pain diminished.
I played this mental game all through those few months when I had the broken wrist, the operation, blood tests, removal of stitches (rather staples), removal of the pin that held the plate to the bone, physiotherapy, etc.
The rating works like this.
1 is the least of the pain, say like a pin prick or injection.
10 is excruciating pain - say like a body part was being pulled out or giving birth.
So before each procedure I assessed what level pain I might have and prepared myself mentally for a few notches higher. For example when the doctor pulled out the pin, I felt it might be at 4 or 5. But I mentally was prepared for 8. So when he actually pulled it out, I didn't feel anything at all. Every single procedure I was prepared for a few notches higher and I was able to sail through without actually feeling the pain.
It works like a miracle!
Try it out.
Next time you know you are going to deal with some pain - just prepare your mind for the pain to be a few notches higher and you will find that your ability to deal with that pain has increased tremendously.
And it works even if you are suddenly exposed to the pain without being prepared earlier.
And it works not just for physical pain, but also the mental and emotional ones.
Fortune favors the prepared mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment